Colleges and Departments at Florida International University provide Graduate Assistantships (GAs) to qualified students on a competitive basis. GAs may teach, conduct research, or have other responsibilities that contribute to the student's professional development. GAs are classified as Graduate Assistants, Graduate Teaching Assistants or Graduate Research Assistants. A graduate assistantship provides a stipend, tuition waiver and health insurance. For information on assistantship opportunities, students should contact the graduate program in which they are enrolled. Assistantships are not available to non-degree seeking students or students admitted on a two-term conditional admission basis.
Graduate Assistant Insurance Florida International University provides subsidized health insurance to all graduate assistants holding a full-term appointment for 20 hours per week. All Graduate Assistants are required to participate in this health insurance plan unless their insurance company will certify equivalent coverage. Gallagher Student Health and Risk will administer the health insurance provided to Graduate Assistants. For information, please visit their website here.
In order to opt out of the GA Health Insurance Plan:
(This does not apply to international students, or students on an F1 or J1 visa*)
- 1. Go to www.gallagherstudent.com/FIU
- 2. Click on 'Graduate Assistant Waive'
- 3. Create a user account, or log in if you are a returning user
- 4. Select the Red 'I Want to Waive' button. When waiving the insurance, have your current health insurance ID card ready as you will need this information in order to complete the waiver form. Upon completing the form, you will be asked to review your information for accuracy and then click 'submit'. Immediately upon submitting your online form you will receive a confirmation number. Receipt of this confirmation number only confirms submission, not acceptance, of your Waiver Form. Please save this number and print a copy of the confirmation for your records
- 5. Deadline to opt out is Thursday, September 17, 2015.
*International students, F1 and J1 visa students need to opt out through FIU Student Health Services. Please use the following form: International Student Health Insurance Compliance Form (PDF)
For Departmental use only
Fall 2015 Contract Entry Deadline is Friday, August 7, 2015.
Electronic Credentialing of Teaching Assistants: The credentialing of Teaching Assistants as primary instructors is done electronically in Panther Soft. Departments hiring a Teaching Assistant must submit the electronic credentialing form before the Teaching Assistant is assigned to the course (s). The Electronic Credentialing Request Form User Manual can be retrieved here. Please note that before the Office of Class Management can add the Teaching Assistant to the course, the final electronic credentialing form must be submitted and approved by UGS.For Fall 2015, the deadline to submit this form is Friday, August 7, 2015.
GA Employment Agreement 2015-2016 - TBA